mercredi 2 mai 2012

Birthday cake pops

Today, my man has turned 30.
As a birthday cake I tried to make these very good birthday cake pop as we tasted them at Starbucks. Before you go any further, just keep in mind that they were unfortunately not as good as the ones you can buy, but it's just a matter of time until they become perfect! 


So it all started with a burnt, too dry and too flat cake. It didn't bode no good. But well, that's part of the recipe. You bake a cake and then you crumble it into piece to make several others, that's an idea!
Once I thoroughly discarded the burnt crust, the other fun part was making the cake crumbles. It's quite easy with hard, dry cookies, but it's very different with a semi-dry, soft cake. What a pain, any advice for next time?


Then you mix the cake crumbles with some kind of frosting. It was recommended a cream-cheese based frosting. For those who know my dear love, you'll know he absolutely doesn't eat anything that has some kind of cheese or cream in it (cream cheese is just the worst thing you could give him to eat). So I bought the recommended one and an other one ("whipped cream flavor" I thing). At the end they're just exactly the same in ingredients... Indecision taken, I would use them both, mixed half/half. It smells marshmallow, but would certainly compensate for my too dry too baked original cake.

Something I noticed in north-american desserts, is that whatever the savor, what matters the most is that they must look nice, colorful, like you spent much more time hiding the imperfection of the taste in decorations, than actually taking care of making it good. Cookies, cupcakes, birthday cakes with so much frosting you can't even tell what's underneath.
Anyway, my birthday pops were not as good as the ones they were supposed to mimic, but at least they looked like a north-american birthday cake. And for the record, the decoration part is actually the longest part of the recipe, I'm not a big fan of north-american desserts.


So now, there we are: colorful cakes, a few dozen candles blown and he is 30.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire